Monday, September 17, 2007

Where has all the good weather gone?

It´s not fair. I fly south, to a "warmer place", just like the Canadian Geese, yet the weather here is absolutely terrible. I have not seen the sun once since I arrived. Everyone keeps promising that this is highly unsually and that the weather will improve but I am becoming skeptical. I think the Norwegian weather is going to follow me for the rest of my life. I know it is my own fault for choosing a university in Vancouver, of all places, it will rain all the time there, I know that and I am prepared for it. But I thought I could at least get a bit of sun in Argentina before university. But nooo....
I read in the newspaper today that there is record rainfall in this province of Argentina for this month. Something like three times the normal amount of rain...
&(/&$%%&??&%$
That is my attempt at swearing while at the same time keeping this blog g rated. Oh I learned that curse words in Spanish is malapalabras. Maybe I should curse in Spanish, haha... well if the weather continues like this I just might.

In other news on Friday I went to a meeting at the university that welcomed Karl Oskar, Isabell, Alex, and I. It was really nice. There are so many Spanish teachers. At least two for each day of the week. There are only 4 students but over 10 teachers! hahaha, they are very enthusiastic about us being here. Today I have my first Spanish class with Ricardo y assistente.

Also, on Saturday I went to Barriletes for the first time. It was complete chaos but soo much fun. There are kids from all ages running around and everyone is so happy. It is obvious that a lot of these kids have next to nothing but yet they always have smiles on their faces. We played many games and I was introduced to a lot of the kids. The younger ones are shy around me, probably because my Spanish is so bad but I am getting along quite well with the 13-16 year olds. They are patient with me and will repeat things many times haha. Also, one little girl has attached herself to me even though I was only there for a few hours. It breaks my heart. The director that has been showing me around is called Ernesto but his nickname is Bicho. Don´t ask me why. Anyway, Bicho said that many of the children don´t go to school so they try to give them an education as much as possible about geography, etc. They also put on workshops for parents on different topics. The difference between there organization and many others like it is that they don´t give food. This means that the kids come for something other than a meal. They come because they have fun and it is a place they can relax and be themselves. I also discovered how the magazine works. They publish it monthly and selected people that come regularly to Barriletes can sell it. It costs 3 pesos for a magazine which is about 1 dollar. 2 pesos go to the pesron selling it and 1 peso goes back to the organization. It is obvious that they have a lot of dedicated people working there, the place looks great, so colorful and bright and many paintings, drawings, etc, done by the students. When I came in there was a huge sign that sade "Welcome Rochelle" (In Spanish of course). Bruna said they think of me like a queen although I don´t know why. In one day they have taught me a lot more about being happy. I haven´t done anything, just played with them, talked with them (with my limited Spanish), sang with them, danced with them, and just was one of the people there, having fun.
I go there again tomorrow. I will write more again after my Spanish class if I have time.

I hope all is well with everyone else.

Lots of love from Argentina...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rochelle, just wanted to let you know that we are really enjoying your blog. Sounds like it will we a great experience. Keep writing.

Mom

Anonymous said...

We would sure like to see pictures of this place.